Yep, you read that right. You can even add cellulite to the ever-growing list of things that bone broth can help remedy.
How? Dr. Josh Axe gives the rundown on the magic of collagen, gelatin and amino acids, from the ability to kick food sensitivities and improve joint health to promoting probiotic balance and a less commonly known game-changer that caught our eye: cellulite reduction.
Some major things that Axe points out about collagen and gelatin:
- Gelatin (the breakdown of collagen) was one of the first functional foods, used as a medical treatment in ancient China.
- Dr. Francis Pottenger and other world class researches have found gelatin and collagen to have the listed benefits:
- Gelatin helps people with food allergies and sensitivities tolerate those foods including cows milk and gluten.
- Collagen protects and soothes the lining of the digestive tract and can aid in healing IBS, crohn’s, ulcerative colitis and acid reflux.
- Gelatin promotes probiotic balance and growth.
- Bone broth increases collagen reducing the appearance of wrinkles and banishing cellulite.
- Because gelatin helps break down proteins and soothes the gut lining, it may prove useful for leaky gut syndrome and the autoimmune disorders that accompany it.
- Gelatin provides bone-building minerals in easily absorbable ways, preventing bone loss and reducing join pain.
Axe points out author Donna Gates’ explanation of how cellulite develops due to the “lack of connective tissue”, which bone broth’s high collagen content can tackle. Sipping your way to supple skin sounds like a win to us.
And what about those amino acids? Here are Axe's highlights on the three major healing players arginine, glycine and proline:
- Necessary for immune system function and wound healing
- Needed for the production and release of growth hormone
- Helps regenerate damaged liver cells
- Needed for the production of sperm
- Prevents breakdown of protein tissue like muscle
- Used to make bile salts and glutathione
- Helps detoxify the body of chemicals and acts as antioxidant4
- Is a neurotransmitter that improves sleep and improves memory and performance
- Helps regenerate cartilage and heal joints
- Reduces cellulite and makes skin more supple
- Helps repair leaky gut
- Protects gut lining
- Metabolic fuel for cells in small intestine
- Improves metabolism and muscle building